Wednesday, May 6, 2009

DisneyNature Presents: Kindergarten

I had another inaugural experience as a mom: chaperoning the field trip.

I showed up feeling pretty confident in my skills to manage a group of 3-4 5 and 6 year olds. Little did I know that Miss J, Jack's teacher, would be assigning me one of the most difficult kids in the class. I don't mind admitting that I was pretty nervous, but it all turned out great.

This little guy doesn't have what we call an inside voice. His constantly yelling. After I took a quick minute to say, "Sweetie, can you talk in a soft voice like this (whispering)?" He replied with a not-so-whispery "YES!" I said, "why don't you show me?" So he did. And he did a fine job of it! I complimented him on his mastery of his new found skill. And wouldn't you know? He spoke in that soft voice all day. I was so impressed. Turns out the little guy has a pretty rough home life, so I hope that he finds a little compassion in those he comes across.

Jack had a fantastic day at the Zoo. The highlight of the morning was the elephant. Lunch was fun with all his classmates running around. And the highlight of the afternoon was, of course, the train. He has had a fascination with trains since he was just a little guy. There is something about the zoo train that just captures him. I think he loves it even more than the animals!

It was fun to see Jack in his element with his little crew of buddies. Isaac and Ismail are his best boy pals. He has known little Presley since preschool and they remain good friends (even if she is a girl.) It brought a little tear to my eye to see him try to be buddies with those who didn't have any friends to hang out with (example: boy above.) He has such a sweet and tender heart buried in that body of rambunctiousness (is that a word?)

I also quite enjoyed hanging out with some of the moms. I must admit, I do envy all those stay at home moms a bit and hope to be able to join the ranks someday. It is frustrating for me to hear moms complaining about their day to day troubles with their kids when I would love to trade places. Jack was such a blessing to us as it is difficult for us to conceive. I would love a house filled with 3 or 4 more little ones.

Enough pining...

So, later that night, Jack, Ian and I headed over to the climbing gym for a little indoor climbing. We have really fallen in love with this little activity. Jack is a little SpiderMan and I am impressed that Ian is improving as quickly as he is. What a fun family activity and BIG thanks to Megan and Wes who introduced us to this addiction. More on this later...it deserves its own post.

Any of you have any addictions? Things you simply can't get enough of?

4 comments:

Andria said...

Sounds like you did a great job!! Field trips are the best!!

Megan said...

You are such a sweetheart, and an amazing Mommy! Jack is such a good little boy because he has incredible parents that lead with such strong, kind, loving examples. We love you guys! Can't wait to go climbing again! I bet your arms are getting pretty buff!

Suzanne said...

Way to go Super Mom for calming the wild child. So glad you were able to hang with Jack at the zoo! -Suzanne

Shalise said...

What a fun time, and I am in for a great vacation to the happiest place on earth.. Too bad it's not going to happen anytime soon.

As for addiction... Hmm does Regular Dr. Pepper count? I cannot seem to find anything better then a Dr. Pepper from my gas station Common Cents. Love this stuff, now tell me how to stop the addiction :)