So, driving into work this morning, we were listening to some meaningless drivel on the radio (I am SO over Chunga) and more importantly, we were listening to Jackson chatter on from the back seat. He was asking us what "credit" was and so we were explaining that credit means to borrow money from someone else so you can buy something. We then went on to explain why we don't borrow money from people. When he pressed us as to why, we explained why we pay cash for things and save our money. He asked why again and we said that when you borrow money, you become a slave to whoever lent you money.
This was all fine and dandy.
Here comes the part that made me lose my mind....
Jackson then goes on to explain that we had a president who had slaves. He said that this president put his hand on the Bible and promised to do his best, but he lied because he had slaved and that made him a bad president.
Any guesses who that president was? Anyone? Anyone?
THOMAS JEFFERSON!!!!!!!!
Absolutely NO mention at school that this great man helped to found our great nation through the writing of the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution. NO mention about all the incredible things this great man did to form a nation that would grow to be the GREATEST NATION in the entire WORLD! A nation that would afford people limitless opportunity and freedom to live and worship as they pleased. NO mention of this man's invaluable role in forming a nation that would go on to spend more money developing technologies that would cure diseases, feed the world and forge freedom for the world.
Just that he owned slaves. And that made him a bad man.
As much as I love his teacher, she is beginning to make a very strong case for homeschooling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That is really crazy!!! It amazes me what some people think and teach. Hopefully the next lesson will be about the good. But I wouldn't hold me breath!!
I just CAN'T believe that! Who would teach kindergarteners about him owning slaves and not about his role in the founding of our country?!? That just doesn't make sense!
What the CRAP!!! I would call the teacher and ask what's up! Sounds like I might be getting into a lot of fights when my kids start going to school! On a more fun note, I want to go to the St. Paddy's day parade with you guys. Jon works on that day.
You've got to be kidding me! I just wish I had the patience for home schooling!
Gleen Beck recommends a book called "The Founding Fathers" or something like that. It is for homeschooling. I'm going to buy it and use it when my kids come of age, no matter where they are at school. It's supposed to talk about the truth behind why our nation was founded, and the good things about our founding fathers.
This kind of thing makes me angry too. I wonder if homeschooling day will come someday. We hear over and over the general authorities tell women to get educated. Maybe this is why. Who knows?
PS - My cousin and I got into a huge debate a omnth or so ago because he sent me a list of the "Founding Fathers" that weren't Christian. It was a bogus list, and many of the people on it weren't even founding fathers. Seriously, it's up to us to teach our kids about America and about politics.
Post a Comment