Tuesday, September 2, 2008

We're baaaaack...

Greetings to all 3 of you who read this blog!! We are back from Disneyland.

I am proud to report that we had a great time and I did, indeed, finish the half marathon. I can definitely say that I have a whole new respect for marathoners...what an incredible accomplishment to go 26.2 miles.



I will share more about the trip in upcoming posts, but wanted to share a bit about the Half. My rockin' cousin Nicole did it with me. She is an awesome example of never say die. Our start time was 6:20, so at 4:30, the wake up call came (Colie: here's to obscene welcome calls) and by 5:15 we were out the door. As we made our way to our starting corral, we both became very emotional. I thought I was a big cry baby, my doppleganger is just as bad! I knew that there would be times that would be more difficult than others during the race, so I decided to dedicate each mile to someone who helped me get there.



Mile 1 Ian for being my biggest cheerleader

Mile 2 Jackson for being a fantastic training partner

Mile 3 Mom for believing I could do it

Mile 4 Dad for saying I couldn't

Mile 5 Zac for keeping me on track

Mile 6 Nicole for crazy ideas

Mile 7 Me for pushing past what I thought was possible

Mile 8 SJ for being an awesome the part time coach

Mile 9 Princesses for making their own happy endings

Mile 10 Sadie for reminding me that there is no day like today

Mile 11 Incredible music!

Mile 12 The Lord for making all things possible

Mile 13.1 My boys...everything I do, I do for you!


The list ended up being a big support through the race and I felt such gratitude for the blessings that I have been given. It was a challenge, but what a wonderful experience! The first 4 miles were through the parks and characters dotted the route. You could stop and get pictures taken with the characters which was cool. I had my camera with me and took most of the photos on the run, so they aren't the best quality, but they will do. The majority of the run was outside the parks. I was amazed at how many people showed up to cheer us on! There were high school bands, cheerleaders, dance groups, mariachi bands, even some hula dancers!


One of the other things that kept me motivated throughout the race were the folks just ahead of me. Several of them had some very inspirational things on the backs of their shirts which made me want to do the same the next time around (crazy, I know, but I think there WILL be a next time around!.) One guy's said "Marathon: putting one foot in front of the other." In another group, the guy's said "This is my way of helping my wife fight her cancer." Sure enough two women's said "This is my way of helping my friend fight her cancer." And of course, one said "This is my way of fighting my cancer." Amazing the things people can do when they have a focused purpose! There was a "This is my first half marathon" which made me smile that we were doing it together! There to cheer each other on and help one another succeed! One woman in particular was a great cheerleader...once she found out we were first timers, she told us that she had run/walk 17 half marathons and 6 full marathons. When I asked her what her secret was, she said just getting out there and putting one foot in front of the other. What sweet wisdom for life!!!


Round about mile 10, I reminded Nicole that this mile was for Sadie. At that point we had both been struggling a bit and she said, "Let's kick this mile in gear for Sadie." It was a tender reminder that we should do the things we are physically able to do as there are those who aren't as fortunate. So kick it in gear we did!!!

There were many sweet moments in the humid morning hours during the race, but the sweetest of all was turning that last corner to see the finish line. I ran like I haven't run before and Nicole and I crossed at the same moment. We gave each other a big hug and congratulated each other on our first (hopefully of many) finished half. What a sense of accomplishment that was!

Although the soles of my feet hurt for much of the run, I didn't feel too much pain. I kinda cramped up a couple times, but all in all, it went pretty smoothly. That is until we finished. Once we crossed that finish line, we both got very emotional again. We stood there, hugged and cried! As soon as the timing chip was cut off my shoe, I was almost unable to walk.

After the run, we headed back to the hotel to ice up for an hour or so then, like the hard core Disney fans we are, headed back out to the park for one last hurrah! It was a very memorable experience that I won't soon forget.

Again, if I can figure out how to post pictures, I will.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

I am totally crying! I am so proud of you, and so inspired. You are amazing. Call me, and I'll come over later tonight and help with pictures! :)

Megan said...

I am so proud of you! Way to go! Once a runner, forever a runner. I am so glad you had such a rockin' time! We'll have to do the next one together. I'd also be happy to help you with pictures. Congratulations cutie!

Wendy said...

I love this post. So inspirational. I enjoy running and starting running last year before a got pregnant. It makes me feel so good like a natural high, and it is such an accomplishment too. Congrats, you are awesome. I am so gald you had such a good experience.

Noni said...

YOU are the BOMB!!! My buttons are bursting and I'm walking PROUD of my darling and beautiful daughter....tears are running (the only kind of running I'm able to do right not)down my face...I love your blog and enjoy reading your thoughts. Jackson is an image of his AWESOME parents...so big and such a ham...I love you my darling daughter and am so happy for you making such great choices in your life. The benfits, you will enjoy thru out your life...and for eternity. Keep kickin some butt girlfriend! You are the BEST!
Love you....Mom