Friday, January 2, 2009

Review Friday!!!

So...I'd like to provide you with a little bit of a review on a few things we have done this past week.

1. The Shack...the book by William Young. I really liked this book...a lot. Although some of the theological points were sketchy, the concept was wonderful. I loved the author's writing style and could not seem to put it down. One of those books I would wake up in the middle of the night thinking about, so I would drag myself into the living room, next to the fire and read more about this guy's conversations with God. It made me look at my relationship with God a bit differently and I finished with resolutions around how I would spend this coming year coming closer to Christ. A real winner.

2. Valkyrie...the movie. This is not your typical WWII Hitler movie. I enjoyed it, but not as much as my history geek hubby did. I really loved that they showed that not all Germans supported the evil that Hitler advocated. I am thankful for good people who are willing to stand for right even when it means that they and their families might suffer for it. I am not a huge Tom Cruise fan, and I probably wouldn't go see the movie again, but I am glad I did see it.

3. Body Worlds...the exhibit. Loved, loved, loved it! If you haven't seen it, it will be in town through the 11th. I would highly recommend it. At first, I thought the idea was a bit morbid, but after waiting over an hour to get in, I realized how worth the wait it was. I was so fascinated by the displays and appreciated the respect the attendees had for what they were looking at. I came away from the exhibit with a more profound awe of the bodies that we are blessed to have. It is a miracle that we can beat up our bodies through exercise (or lack thereof) and what we eat and the body still does whatever it can to keep up. It gave me such a compelling resolve to continue to make my body healthier. To honor the temple that it is.

Well, there you go. Long post, but oh well. It is my blog and I will do what I want with it. :)

5 comments:

Andria said...

I loved your thoughts and I have been looking for a new book. I guess I will give it a try!! Sounds like a good week for you!

Stacey said...

You sound like you had a really nice week. I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise either...that is what is keeping me away....maybe I'll go now!

Suzanne said...

Ummm... if you think that was a long post, then you must think my posts are novels. Ha ha!

I am so jealous that you got to go to the Body exhibit. Brian won't pay the price for the tickets and so I will have to wait and go another time. :( -Suzanne

Shalise said...

Hi mekenzie I have read the shack and loved this book! The author was just in town and I did not get tickets in time to go. Also body worlds was. Amazing though I have to admit the babies were hard being that I have lost babies at there weeks.

Tori said...

I loved the shack and agree whole heartedly with your review. Glad to hear someone I know read it. I'm more interested in Valkyrie now and may actually go see it.